Re: Quad-4 (1228707 ECM) Rough Idle Problem

Will Remaklus wrote:

> Here are some new findings on the problem:
>
> In pursuit of trying to understand my rough idling problem I
> decided that the 2X reference pulses from the ignition module
> did not provide enough resolution.  Therefore, several weeks ago
> I fabricated a 24 slot crank position sensor using an IR LED and
> photodetector.  The .pdf file:
>
>  ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming/Quad-4%20Idle%20Miss.pdf
>
> shows the instantaneous RPM, that is RPM calculated based on the
> time between two adjacent slots in the wheel, versus time.  I also
> included the slot number off the wheel to aid in identifying the
> relative position of the crank.
>

> Therefore, it appears that the problem is likely caused by
> something in the top end.  When I checked the timing chain
> several weeks ago I verified that at TDC the camshaft alignment
> dowel pins went in easily.  As such, the only things left to
> check are the lifters and the cams.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Will

AFAIK all W-41 optioned Quads will do this loping.  The cam's have more
duration that the stock HO and do this as an effect of the longer
duration.

Personally I would like to have a set of those cams...

My HO will sometimes slip into this "lope" and a little tap of the gas
will bring it out of it.  The W-41 will settle back into it naturally.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ HO Quad4