Re: TBI to TPI Conversion

At 04:30 PM 4/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
Problem with the '94 Camaro is the optispark ('93 was non-electronic
4L60). Now, you could just drop an LT1 in there and call it good, but it
would be tough (not impossible, just tough) to use an LT1 harness / PCM
with a TPI motor (TPI still has the Dizzy).

You could possibly "piggy back" your PCM with a second ECM and have your
PCM drive the tranny, and the ECM drive the TPI... Feed your PCM the
right inputs (VSS, etc) and it should control the tranny correctly. Rats
nest of wires, though. Why don't ya just stick an LT1 in there (or even
higher on the coolness factor, an LS1). ;^)

I think you can purchase dedicated electronic tranny controllers,
though. Do that, get a TPI setup off of a 90-92 Camaro, and you're set.

Anything's doable, though, for enough money. ;)

-Andrew

Todd Burkard wrote:

> I just want to get an idea what I am in for Along with the other Prom projects I am working on I am pondering the Idea of converting my 94 GMC 4x4 to a TPI or SFI setup. Has anyone done this type of conversion on a pickup that has the Electronicaly controled tranny? I was thinking maybe a harness and computer out of a 93 or a 94 Camaro.
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

I am not that familiar with the 94 setup but if it is similar to some of the older ones with 2 injectors and (supposedly ) 2 drivers all that is required is to change the drivers to handle 4 TPI injectors and radically decrease the injector on time and i think more injection events per rev. The tranny code can be left as is. This approach will allow the use of the stock wiring harness with a few splices but may be too much of a difficult software change . you will have to determine which rout you can do the easiest
                Todd Israels