Re: Memory Emulator (was ASBX code is AMXY)

Peter,
Thanks for the great reply!

I still haven't machined those Alfa heads for injectors (but that's
another story)...

You said it -"that's another story"; yes, but an interesting one; it's always fun to do what the experts say can't be done.

I asked, partly, " . . . is the idea to change the data (tables), but not the code?".

You gave integrating insights into what you are doing.

The idea is that you add to your existing code's ALDL commands, . . .

What?, you do it through through ALDL? Very practical! I always have a tendency to want to add another PCB and a thick cable, leave the unit dangling from the cables with the covers off . . .

. . . like a Dallas NVRAM chip . . .

I, also, found use for the DS1245Y and family - it worked great for me.

Now this "ain't rocket science", and it's certainly been done before
(c/f Kalmaker), but I'm surprised that it isn't done more often.
Perhaps it's because it requires modification to a standard EPROM's
code, rather than just tinkering with the tables?

Another good point; this would eliminate any mucking about for tuning, right? I imagine just 'adjusting' the program to accept table data through the ALDL, then never needing to remove the ECM again, right?

I have been almost totally distracted from this task by writing a 68HC11 assembler and a disassembler . . .

I haven't searched yet;  are there no good ones available?

The NVRAM (Non-Volatile RAM) approach works like this.
[your eight steps]

Yes, very good; I must admit that I just plain enjoy machines (electrical or mechanical).

I'm not driving an EFI rig at present; if I owned one, would I ever stop tinkering long enough to assemble the hardware? Yours sounds like an excellent method of tuning.

. . . a "high-speed" data link to/from the CPU, and the NVRAM's contents can be updated.

Oh, faster than the ALDL speed?

A hardware EPROM emulator is really a "sledge hammer" approach to
modifying tables (IMNSHO!).

Well, the alure is that it is a 'universal' solution - it just plugs in; an integrated solution definitely has benefits.

Anyone interested in this?

I am, but, alas, driving (temporarily!) with a carb.

Thanks again for the excellent reply!
Mike