Re: MC68332 disassembler ?

> Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:38:20 +0200
> From: Daniel Henriksson <rotax@ludd.luth.se>
> Subject: MC68332 disassembler ?
>
> Calling for your expertise!
>
> Anyone know of a good MC68332 (CPU32) disassembler ?
>
> Regards
>   Daniel Henriksson
>   rotax@ludd.luth.se

Daniel,

I haven't found a good free one (yet)...  I'm planning to write one but
it's quite a ways off (have you seen the instruction set on the 332? --
yuck!)...  There is a good professional disassembler that does 332 and
many many other processors -- it's called IDA Pro (Interactive
DisAssembler)...  It even has library pattern matching which is
especially good for disassembling x86 programs -- by pattern matching,
it will find common library functions and comment them for you -- for
example, no more wasting hours pouring through several pages of code
just to find out it is a "printf" -- it will comment it as "printf" and
hide the code (unless you just want to see it anyway)...  And, you can
add other library pattern matching and for other processors... hint,
hint...  What I'm getting at is if the code from the 332 based PCM's
were properly decoded and placed in a library, then when disassembling
another platform instead of hundreds of pages of code, you'll get
references like "_2DTableLookup", etc...

The only downside is that it isn't free, but it is worth the money...
Here's the URL in case you're interested:

http://www.datarescue.com/

Donald