Trouble with Pocket Programmer

I've never got the same file twice when reading any of the chips with my new Pocket Programmer (P.P.).  I could read a chip then verify it to the file and it would never match.  Each time I do a check sum calculation on a chip it is different.  I have no idea for sure what is causing my problem.  I've tried the p.p. on my PII-300 laptop, my 286 laptop and my PII-350 PC.  It will not work correctly with any of them.  I did notice that the power supply I got with the unit is putting out about 14V D.C. on my multi-meter.  That is quite a bit higer than the 9V it's suppose to be putting out.  I'm gonna pick up a new P.S. at Radio Shack tomorrow and see what happens.  My best guess is either the high voltage is messing with the p.p. or the p.p. is already fried because of it.  If I don't have any luck, I'll get ahold of the place who built the p.p. (the company that builds it is only 15 miles from me) and see what they have to say.  I thought maybe some of you may have some ideas.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff