Fuel pressure question, again

The car is a 89 TPI F-body.  I set the pressure at about 50psi with the
engine off.  Started the car and the pressure jumped to 65+psi!!!  Car is
having a new cold-start problem and now I think I know why.  I opened the
throttle and the pressure settled to 50psi.  As the engine warmed up, the
pressure settled back to 50psi and the idle smoothed out.  When the throttle
is opened the pressure still decreases even when hot.  Isn't this backwards?
Shouldn't less vacuum result in more fuel pressure?  Is this the sign of a
regulator gone bad?

Steve