build your own MAF???

As an alternative to ditching the MAF sensor is anyone aware of a way to build one that would look better? My limited understanding of how they work is: the heated wire and temp sensor must be in the air path the rest of that tacky thing could be somewhere else. Clearly if you move it very far you have added resistance from the connecting wires. Does this really matter? It seems to me that it is constantly adjusting itself to current conditions (it works in the summer, it works in the winter) would it possibly just "think" it's in a different climate?

Still 1/2 asleep,
Kelly