MAF Mess

I'm having a lean misfire problem on my '87 Camaro V6,  sometimes stalls at idle,
misfires severely at anything more than 1/3 throttle. No trouble codes or SES.
My first guess was an injector problem,  but trying to troubleshoot it today I
pulled the MAF connector while it was idling.  It stalled and when re-started lit
SES and gave a MAF error code. After that it ran much better with  no misfire but
the SES was on steady.  A few hours later I started it,  SES was out and the
misfire was back.

That says to me it's a sensor problem,  not an injector problem. Does it mean
it's the MAF?   Will the ECU ignore ALL the sensors while running with the SES
on,  or just the one that set the error code?  Is there a way to test the MAF to
see if it's working properly?

Thanks,

Bill