Newbie needs advice

I am rebuilding my '87 Vette (TPI) with an aggressive cam.  I'd like to
try tuning my own eeprom instead of buying one that may or may not
utilize the engine's full potential.

I'd like to get into this without spending too much money.  I know I'll
need a burner, eraser, chips, a tuner program, and a diagnostic tool of
some sort.  What hardware should I consider, where should I get it, and
how much should it cost?  Which tuner programs should I use and how much
do they cost?  What diagnostic tool should I look into?  Are there any
shareware/freeware diagnostics out there that'll perform like a Diacom?

Thanks for the info.  So far, most of the discussions have been over my
head, but I am learning fast.