RE: Illegal Operations

If by 'crash' you mean that they stopped receiving and displaying data (as
opposed to the software locking up), then I have a similar problem on my
IBM Thinkpad (can't remember the number, but it is an old steam powered
'486 model). I wrote some simple 16 bit QuickWin code of my own to try and
reduce the startup time, increase the sample rate and reduce the memory
requirement (the notebook only had 12Mb, and Carbytes took forever to
start, and would only manage 1 sample a second). I was quite surprised when
my software also suffered the same fault.

What happened was that if/when a PC running Windows recieves an error on
the COM port (for example a, framing error), it freezes the comport until
you clear the error. This means that the PC can still transmit '232 data,
but it will never receive anything. The only way to restore comms is for
the host program to call GetCommError() (or the equivalent 32 bit
function), and after that, everything is hunkey-dorey again (until the next
error). The errors occur on my car during cranking, and under very heavy
load (100% throttle 5000+ RPM, 1.5+bar turbo boost, 10mS + injector
duration)

I haven't had time to investigate further with Carbytes or Freescan to see
what their error recovery strategy is, but it is possibly the same fault.
If so, then you will need to wait for Paul and/or Andy to sort it out, or
download the source code and sort it out yourself. I was meaning to
ask/tell both Andy and Paul about my observations, but never quite got
around to it. Sorry guys.

Cheers,
Malcolm Robb, LC 0112G