TPI 327 Timing

I was playing with the Timing while tunning the TPI 327 last night and I cranked it up as far as I can for now. Ran out of markings on the timing tang so I need to get a Advancable timing light or a timing tape for the Balancer but anyway it seams to make more and more power (seat of the pants Dyno) the more I advance it and no detectable knock yet. Does anyone know if short stroke motors need more timing? Also the more timing I give it the less popping I get in the exhaust while downshifting and to me that is a sign of the mixture igniting late.

On another note of timing I hooked the Scantool up to my 94 gmc pickup and noticed that when I would rev the engine or even let it idle there was no reading for ignition advance. Shouldn't there be?

Thanks