Re: Home Dyno

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Doug Dayson wrote:

> Haven't used that one...but I have found Pat Hale's (RSA Software) Engine Jr
> and Engine Sr to be reasonably accurate (plus or minus 5%...NA only) if you
> have aoptiized exhaust set-up and reasonable inlet charge temps...
>
> Doug

The home dyno things actually reads audio made from a inductive spark
connector, and actually shows hp vs rpm for the given car that is
being run.  The hp will be reasonably correct if you are on a level
surface with no wind, and if you have the correct weight for the
vehicle.   The program processes the audio to determine engine rpm and
from that vehicle speed and from the change in speed and the mass of
the vehicle over a given time determines hp.

Since it is measuring acceleartion it should be pretty accurate, and I
understand it is fairly repeatable, at least as repeatable as a real
dyno.
				Roger