Re: New ALDL 2 transistor circuit (critique)

Malcolm Robb, LC 0112G wrote:

> I'm not sure this is within the scope of the lists intended use

No question about ALDL being GM ECM related!

> but if you want to flame me, please do it off list !

I come to praise thee!  You've taught me something!

> RS232 is almost bound to work at 0V/12V. The nominal threshold level is 1V
> (+/- 0.25V of hysterysis) in my copy of the spec.

Yeah, but this a specific receiver's spec, not the RS232 spec....

> Take a look at the spec for the SN75189 line receiver...

okay, try http://www-s.ti.com/sc/psheets/slls095d/slls095d.pdf

Okay, the two transistor circuit should work fine *if* it's going to
to work into a chip like the 75189. And, I'll go as far as to say that
most 75189 "clone" chips are also work-alikes WRT hysterysis, etc. so
just about any PC will work with this circuit.

> The 10 pin ALDL connector is used on all GM/Vauxhall/Opel cars produced
> here in Europe since about 1986....

I now recall an email from someone who had a different plug. I
tried to get a GIF or JPEG from them, but the technology was
beyond them. Can anyone supply me with a pointer to a picture of
one of these 10 pin connectors? Why? Because I collect virtual ALDL
connectors!

Also, there is a 5 pin connector described by Dan, here:

   http://www.isthq.com/~dan/aldl.htm

> ...the 1981 J-car which has a five way connector which is...

Anyone have a picture of one of these?

Okay, this is the last I'll discuss this topic, here. Flame me
direct at mailto:peter@mail.techedge.coma.au?subject=ALDL%20Flame

Peter.