EPROMs are programming AOK

I fixed my previous problem with my EPROM not programming.  It was the
EPROM.  I received my new EPROMs in the mail today from JDR...

EPROM, 32KX8 90NS 28CERDIP 27C256-90 $3.99

These programmed just fine.  Here is the crazy part.  I can program one of
these EPROMs in 9 seconds flat.  Is that how long it takes you guys?  I
played around with the program pulse in the pocket programmer's software and
I ended up using the lowest pulse possible ... a value of 1.  Using a value
of 1 programs these EPROMs successfully.  All verifies succeed.  When I
download the EPROM and load up the .BIN file in TunerCat it looks just like
the one that I used for programming.  I still can't believe 9 seconds ...
that's freakin' quick.  The EPROMs are 90ns EPROMs.  Would that make a
difference?

I also finished up with my FrankenCal ... I don't consider it a MemCal
anymore.  I used Kevin Crain's idea for the low-profile ZIF socket (which he
attributes to someone else who I can't remember right now).  I soldered this
low profile ZIF onto the memcal and then hot-glued the ZIF to give it extra
stability.  Then I cut the blue memcal cover in half and hot-glued one half
over the ESC thingy and threw the other half away.  Everything seems to work
AOK so far.

I also manufactured an adapter for the memcal itself so that I can adapt the
memcal directly to the pocket programmer.  I used part number CHW34G-ND from
Digi-Key.  This is a 34 pin wire wrap protected header (male).  It took me
all of two minutes to modify this with the dremel to cut off the last 6
pins.  It then took me another minute to bend each row of the wire wrap legs
out a little bit so that all the pins fit into the programmer.  Works like a
champ.  This is how I verified my FrankenCal.  I programmed a chip, put it
into FrankenCal's ZIF, put the adapter onto the FrankenCal, and then put
FrankenCal into the Programmer.  I verified EPROM to file and all is great.
Woohoo.

Tim Siford