RE: ecm newbie

From: "Marteney, Steven J." <smarteney@xlvision.com>
To: fat slug <slowfatslug@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: ecm newbie
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:43:52 -0400

Unfortunately (for me and you) I've never technically hacked an ECU... yet.
I've been on the list since December and have been learning a lot.  My
current project is a 165 from an 89 TPI Firebird.  I've pulled the chip and
read it as my baseline and have all the files necessary to tune.  Do you
have the magical ECU file for your engine?  Just knowing it's a 165 isn't
enough, unless you've BOUGHT one of the better packages like GMEPro or Tuner
Cat's stuff.  Or, unless you plan to do a full on hack of the code by
yourself.  Don't know if you're into HC11 assembly language or not.

The 101 stuff a good primer, but can be confusing when moving to a 165.  I
don't know if any cars running a 165 used MAP sensors, but all the ones I
know of are MAF-based.  A lot of the tables are the same, but it's a
different philosophy.  I can try to help you as much as I can, but the list
will probably be the best place.

I'm lucky I have a burner and eraser where I work, right next to my cube.
:-)  Good to know there's someone on the list in the nearby area.  Maybe we
can help each other out.
sounds Great Steve,2 heads are better than one, unfortunatly i dont have my engines ucu file.. or a programmer to obtain it..To make the changes i want i will have to hack the actual machine code..it may all be in the eprom or iac driver? im not sure..According to Terry K it will be difficult...Tuner cats wouldnt work on it either. GM says my 165 has been upgraded to a 16198445.. perhaps this one has all the iac bugs fixed 8-)..If that be the case then alls i gotta do is hack the egr..what i need now is a programmer/erasor. but ill have to find one quik, Its hot, surfs flat and im headin to north Ga. in one week! - Dan