Re: Suppliers fyresleeving

Thanks Charles, always open to more info and corrections (ego not as big as
my engines ;-).  The specs on the stuff they have to answer Grumps is:

Silicone coated fiberglass sleeving (Fyrejacket) has SAE Aerospace
Standards 1055B good for 2,000 df for 15 minutes of longer (still with you
here Charles on heat soak).  500 df continuous and good down to being
flexible to -65 df.  In 5/16 to 4 inch versions.

Unsaturated Thermojacket is made of 3M's Nextel 312, good for continuous
2,600 df and short tem of 3,000 df.

Saturated thermojacket sleeving will handle as high as 1,000 df.

Now, unless the fyrejacket-etc is not allowed air movement to cool, Charles
is correct and inside temps would catch up.  If we get the car moving and/or
the air flow capabilities in the area are good (and convection occurrence
would
help), short term high temps would be the case and should help the insulated
sleeving in doing its job.  Now for nasty areas, Themotec sells an aluminum
reflective ceramic shielding tape (or many versions of sheets non-adhesive
type), that holds on while exposed to some pretty high temps (not exhaust
pipes), the reflective surface helps in controlling radiant heat and the
ceramic conducted heat.  Now, not to argue as the facts do speak for them
self's so to only quote from the catalog, there seems to be some ability
stated for the ceramic sleeving in keeping temps down for longer times (?,
that's what it says): "Ceramic sleeving protects wires, cables, hoses and
tubing from long term high temperature exposure and from molten splash and
nearby fire".  Of course we have so many guys here to like to lab test
everything, someone interested enough could test this stuff with 3 temp
sensors, one inside the sleeving, another on the sleeving surface and
another logging the heat source temperatures.

Jeff M