Re: P&H Injector Interface

On Sat, 20 May 2000 12:20:16 -0400, "nacelp" <nacelp@bright.net> wrote:

>The only *advantage* to the underhood sytle is ease of plugging things in.
>
>There were lots of downsides

Ahh yup.

>I'd trade all of this for doing some splicing, at the ecm.

I was a fly on the wall during part of the discussion while Bruce and
the dwarves brainstormed, and it looks like it's quite possible to
reroute the ecm wires that would normally go directly to the injectors,
over to the module(s) first, then back into the harness without any
cutting up of the original harness. You'd have to pull out a few
wiresNpins from your ecm connector, but you wouldn't be cutting them,
and could easily plug them back into the connector to restore everything
to OEM condition. So I guess EricA might get his wish after all. :)

Here's the idea, which is kinda specific to gmecm guys, but hey, after
all they're probly the bulk of OEM ECU experimenters anyway:

There be pins in the ECM connector housing for the injector signals:

Step (1): you pull those out non-destructively (I'm assured by the
dwarves this is doable with small careful fingers :). Or is there infact
an extraction tool that's recommended for this operation?

Step (2): you grab another empty ECM connector housing, and plug those
pins back into it. You now have the injector wires going to the injector
connectors in this new/second ECM connector housing.

Step (3): make up some short jumper wires and attach an ECM connector
*pin* to BOTH ends of each wire. (same sex as before, female if I
understand the polarity right on the ECM connector).

Step (4): you plug these jumper wire pins back into the ORIGINAL ECM
connector in the same place you removed the previous injector signal
pins. Now you have some short dangling jumper wires with the injector
*driver* signals on them.

Step (5): now plug these jumper ends also, into this new/second ECM
connector housing. Now you have in this secondary ECM housing, pins
coming from the ECM that would normally drive the saturated injector,
and you also have pins in this second housing, that go directly to the
injector itself, but the connection is now broken between the two,
without cutting any wires.

Step (6): plug this second ECM connector directly into the module/box
that is the P&H Injector Interface Module. :)

Step (7): (yes 7, cuz we always hafta have 7 steps, and besides I like
this one especially). Pour yourself a nice tall cold one, and
congratulate yerself on performing reversable GM brainstem surgery
without a scalpel.

Now before we go off singing "Hi-Ho" dwarf-like, and patting ourselves
on the back for summing fractional-wits to solve this dilemma, can
anyone see any problems with this technique, other than the one I just
posted about current levels on the pins? I'm assured from Conical HQ
that both pins, housings, and the header that needs to be part of the
module to receive the connector, are all readily available, so belay
that concern unless you know something to the contrary.

BTW, of course it should be obvious, if you want to return to the old
system for any reason, you just put all the pins back where they started
out, and you're back to where you started.

Comments? Other than Eric's cluck-clucking of course. :)

Gar