Re: Convert 6 cyl tacho for use with 4 cyl

Hiya

Where abouts is this resistor??? as my holden speedo is reading around 25% too fast as well and i have almost resorted to building a small gearbox to reduce the VSS drive... do you have any idea about which diode to change in order to fool the speedo into thinking that it';s going backwards??? as my current gearbox spins the VSS the wrong way, hence the odo only works in reverse... :(

Ben

From: Shawn Lin <slin01@mail.orion.org>
To: gmecm@diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: Convert 6 cyl tacho for use with 4 cyl
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 01:01:41 -0500

Peter Gargano wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> 1. What's the cheapest way to convert an analogue electronic tacho,
> set up for a 6 cylinder, so it reads correctly for a 4 cylinder.
> Assuming there is no access to the internal electronics, just the
> external signal from the coil. (logically, the tacho requires 3
> pulses for every two pulses the coil generates).

This seemed easy until you assume no access to internal electronics.

> 2. What's the easiest way?

IMO, the easiest way is to change the value of the calibration resistor
for the tach.  On the early 90's GM cluster I've played with (from a
Grand Prix), the cal resistor is laser-etched on the top of a white
14-pin DIP.  Less resistance across the terminals, and the tach reads
higher.  More resistance, and the tach reads lower.  I noticed my speedo
read about 25% too high, so I jumpered a 1 megohm (or was it 10 megohm?)
resistor across the original cal resistor and was able to get it 100%
accurate (compared to the digital HUD and my multimeter's frequency
counter).  I played with the tach a little, and it worked the same way.
I think this would be easier than building any kind of conversion
circuit.

Shawn