Re: wooden spacers

Hotrodderzzz@aol.com wrote:

> regarding plywood, there are furniture grades and marine grades that are
> uniform
> roofing plywood on the other hand is full of gaps
> generally plywood is considered stronger than regular woods  SS

Not that I'm any kind of woodworking person, but plywood is still
softwood, not hardwood.  Softwoods are basically conifers, pine trees,
firs, etc.  Hardwood is everything else, including balsa (!).  Plywood
may be stronger in a structural sense but I think it would squish and
leak if you built a manifold spacer out of it.  Here's Bruce's original
post on the topic from a few months ago:

Got a power drill?.
Go to a GOOD lumber yard and get some hard wood, that's truely a 1"
thick
(might get some various sizes, like .5, and .75" so that you can play
mix
and match for the best combo).  Drill your pattern, and carve as
necessary.
Go to you local hobby shop where they sell balsa model airplanes, and
buy
some Hot Fuel Proof Dope, it must be FLAT BLACK, and paint heavily.  Let
dry, and install.
Can be done for less then $10
Grumpy
Cheap as always.  BTW, I've run these on carbed engines for years..
Phenolic, ya, Ash Oak etc works as well.  I also use Kendall 427 grease
on
the gaskets with the above so that they are reuseable.

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet@arm.com