RE: tpi intakes

Actually, one of the guys just did one on my local f-body list, and is
pretty happy with it.  He found that most of the problems that people were
having came from one of 2 things: TPS sending the wrong parts (they didn't
send him the right thermostat housing, it was missing some of the fuel rail
pieces, others were wrong, and their installation kit was unnecessary.  The
second problem people are having is trying to overengineer the problem and
causing more work, ex: he looked at the fuel rail crossover and decided that
it doesn't line up well enough and tried to redrill the holes better
centered.  when he did this he ended up drilling into an open space in the
casting...

Expect a similar power band to an lt1 with a big loss of low end, and a much
bigger increase up high.

>    Even if you get the runners right, the plenum is fighting you.
> What I think **MIGHT** work is down by the head side of the
> intake manifold
> grind a 1" hole 3"s up them the end of the runner, For the
> siamesed runners.
> That way you have the volume of two tunners to draw against
> to the runner
> lenght of what a single plane manifold would offer.  If ya
> get what I mean.

I'm assuming that you're talking about a stock style intake?  Are you trying
to turn it into a crossfire ;-) (some of the crossfire intakes had similar
holes drilled.  You're still going to be fighting the tuning from the long
runners, it's great for low end, but no matter what they don't flow enough
for good high end for use on large motors.  there are siamesed runners for
the thing, and although they help, they don't solve the problem.

Depending on what you want to get out of it, ultimately you really want
runner lengths somewhere between the TPI and LT1 (the LT1 runners are so
short that they don't do any real tuning in any rpm range that the motor
will see, it was designed strictly for flow).  A good example of what to
shoot for is the LS1 intake (I know, it won't fit on a SBC) but it is about
halfway in between in length and those motors make some power with a fairly
mild cam...

If you have money, I'd go for the super ram for something going into a
heavier car, something with an auto, mild cam... if it's getting a bigger
cam, something lighter or stick, then I'd go with the miniram.  All out
race, I'd have a single plane intake rigged for injectors and some kind of
TB on the top (modified carb or something similar).

Mark