checksum error last byte

I've run across a rather strange problem. I took my car for its second drive around the farm and upon acceleration it coughed badly. That's not the strange part. I scanned for error codes and the fuel pump would not shut off with the key on run, engine off. I unplugged the scan cable, fuel pump did exactly what it's supposed to do(ran for 2 seconds and stopped)I removed the fuel pump relay, no more running pump, I run pcmcomm and get checksum error last byte.

The last time I scanned the car a lot of codes flew past the screen but no checksum errors. I thought I would start the car (and run it till it was out of gas which I thought would take about 2 seconds) when I started the car I could hear the fuel pump start running. It ran until I turned it off.

I have not reprogrammed the car since the last time I scanned it.

With that said here is the question. Is it possible that the fuel pump is somehow shorted with something else? Duh, It's obviously getting power from somewhere coz' it's running. I thought I had it wired correctly but the checksum error and the fuel pump thing happened at the same time. prior to "cleaning up the wire routing" they both appeared to work right. Anybody have any idea what happened here? I do not believe it has anything to do with the checksum. I think that is some strange side effect of my fuel pump wiring.

I'm gonna go check the wiring again.

over fueled, under scanned,
Kelly