Re: Pump Shot, now SU, no GMECM

At 06:22 AM 6/8/00 -0500, you wrote:

>-> A quick shot of fuel to overcome the drop in vacuum during a quick
>-> throttle opening..
>
> I suspect it's more of a little engine/big car thing.  Disconnecting
>the accelerator pump on my V8-converted '72 Capri did nothing I could
>tell.  Cars with SU side drafts have no accelerator pumps, nor do most
>motorcycles.

	Ahhh the fabled SU...actually one of my fav-o-rite Grand Olde Designs.
SUs provide enrichment upon sudden opening of the throttle by damping the
upward movement of the piston with an oil damper (the little black plastic
or brass knob on top of the dashpot leads to a small cylinder filled with
oil).  Upon whacking the throttles open, vacuum tries to pull the slides
(pistons) upward to let more air in, but the damping action slows their
travel, and the engine gets a proportionately richer mixture.  IF the carbs
are in good repair and IF they are not calibrated lean for emissions, they
work beautifully, in my limited experience.
	Back to my cave...

Aaron Willis
Garage TE51 International  http://surf.to/garage-te51
ICQ # 27386985