Can an ECM "learn" how to start the car better?

I'll try to be brief.  At one point, something caused the car to be
"smoking" rich when cold.  Well, long story drastically shortened, an ECM
change ('165) was needed because there was no comm.  That ended up making
the car run world's better under any condition, but only minimally improved
the sudden cold-start problem.  At least it would start and after a minute
the idle would smooth out.  Over the next few weeks, the car started better
and better and now there is no sign of the cold-start problem.  I don't
think it's a weather change because I'm on the east coast of Florida and the
mornings have been pretty consistent, it's just our afternoon's got hotter.
Plus we've had some "cold" mornings since then and the car starts without a
problem.
Any thoughts?

Sorry for the bandwidth use, just curious.
Steve