RE: Can an ECM "learn" how to start the car better?

>As I understand it, the computer uses the block learn (or equiv) values to
>remember WHERE its adjustment left off.

>If I'm wrong, please correct me so I too may learn.

The computer doesn't adjust fuel mixture in open loop mode.  It used
whatever values are in the table.  Its not until closed loop mode that the
O2 sensor can be used and therefore, the ECM can now adjust the fuel
mixture.  The ECM can't adjust the AFR unless it knows where the AFR
currently is.  The O2 needs to be 'in play' in order for the ECM to be able
to determine what the current AFR is.  During a cold start the ECM is in
open loop mode ... no O2 .... no fuel adjustment.  I can't really explain
why everything seems to be working AOK now for you.

tim