RE: Can an ECM "learn" how to start the car better?

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, trax wrote:

> The computer doesn't adjust fuel mixture in open loop mode.  It used
> whatever values are in the table.  Its not until closed loop mode that the
> O2 sensor can be used and therefore, the ECM can now adjust the fuel
> mixture.  The ECM can't adjust the AFR unless it knows where the AFR
> currently is.  The O2 needs to be 'in play' in order for the ECM to be able
> to determine what the current AFR is.  During a cold start the ECM is in
> open loop mode ... no O2 .... no fuel adjustment.  I can't really explain
> why everything seems to be working AOK now for you.
>
> tim

It does not adjust the mixture in open loop, but it can use the
BLM's that it learned from the last time it was there.   If you where
to clear the computer and then it starts running badly again, then you
may have your answer, it is remembering what was thought to be the
best mixture that it previously figured out.

				Roger