Re: winbin

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 01:24:16PM -0700, Eric Aos wrote:
> I have no problem with adding the functionality... it would be nice to keep
> a standard though.
>
> Have we learned enough that it's time for a newer standard ???
>
> One limitation I've noticed is some furriners use a comma instead of the
> period to denote a decimal point... and the ECU file is nothing more than a
> comma delaminated file, so it throws everything off a step.
>
> Would also be nice to remove the number of character limitations for some
> headings.
>
> My vote is to go to a windows INI format, that would allow for adding new
> fields in the future, without breaking previous versions.

To aid in moving forward with a new format, could the INI format
support a backwards compatible format to allow people to not have to
completely write their current .edu files?  Maybe just a header/label
saying "[Old format]" where everything following that label is in
the current .ecu format.

Or if that is more trouble than it is worth, I could just write a
translation program, if there was a demand for it.

   Marc

--
  Marc Randolph     -    mrand@pobox.com    -     PGP keyID: 0x4C95994D
     If you have any info on the mid-60's car called the Bill Thomas