1226870/1227165 conversion

Need some help with a strange problem.  I recently converted from a 1226870
ECM to a 1227165 to obtain the faster baud rate in order to help with my
tuning education (1226870 just way too slow).  I was fighting a no start
problem with the conversion when I realized that the '86 Vette chip
(BUB1726) was a VATS chip so I tried a '87 F-body chip (ACXZ1122) and it
fired right up.  I compared the chips in Tunercat and deducted that I should
start with disabling the VATS option on the Vette chip and try it again.
Car starts with the Vette chip now but it does something very strange.  The
CEL flashes at a steady rate and each time it comes on the car stalls for an
instant - kinda sits there and surges evenly.  I'm new to this and have
learned a lot by sitting back and soaking it in - you all are geniuses.  Any
input on this one?