microcontrollers slightly more powerful than a pic?

I am looking for a microcontroller slightly more powerful than a pic.
I really need some external addressing of memory and with a pic it
looks like this sort of stuff will be getting rather complex.

When others have needed something more powerful than a pic what sort
of things have they used?   And where did you get them?   I would like
a motorola type processor, but digi-key does not appear to carry them
(they don't list motorola as a company they stock), so what other
companies similiar to digi-key are there?

I am considering something as low as a 68hcxx series part, as I know I
can make it work with one of those parts though I would prefer
something more like a 68xxx series part.

			Roger