Re: Vortec FI

GM>If i were you Id wait a bit. Scoggin-Dickey GM parts center is working on a
GM>vortec head specific TPI base. You should email them about it. From what I
GM>understand its due to come out pretty soon.

GM>If TBI is an option for you, remember that there are a few (off hand I can
GM>think of three, the GM dual plane, the Edelbrock dual plane and single
GM>plane) vortec specific carburetor intakes that the TBI can be adapted to eas
GM>Pablo

GM>At 06:42 PM 6/17/00 EDT, you wrote:
GM>>Wow!  Thanks for the quick response!  But is the factory TBI?  I guess not
GM>>it requires 60 psi.  Or is it some sort of new system?  I guess if I got th
GM>>correct sized injectors for my application, then I could run what ever
GM>>pressure I wanted, right?
GM>>Thanks,
GM>>Ted

The vortec injectors will not open below 55 psi fuel pressure.  It's a
mechanical requirement.  I do not know how much above 60 psi is
aceptable, but after seeing the injectors I'm sure there's a top end
that's not too far from it.  It's not easy to modify the stock intake to
accept regular injectors.  When I get back to the house, I'll post links
to pics of the factory intake manifold.  I might have given them out
already, if someone else wants to pass them along.  I think the stock
intake might make a good crossram intake, but who knows....
Regular intakes don't line up well with the Vortec ports.  I have no
idea what guys are using for gaskets, but there's about 1/16" at the top
of the manifold for compressing the gaskets, least on the mockup that I
did.  Edelbrock has 3 types of carby intakes for the Vortec heads, which
can be adapted to tbi.  You can find them on Edelbrock's web page.  The
accell single plane manifold is available with port injectors and
throttle body installed, I have info about that at home.  There may be
tbi intakes available that were used on marine engines.  I have a tunnel
ram style pfi intake that was manufactured for Vortec heads, but it's
10" tall.  That requires a bunch of hood clearance, or a scoop.  Hmmm...
Jaguars and scoops... ; )
Shannen