'84 G-body with carbureted CCC

I drive an '84 Chevy El Camino, factory 305 with "Computer
Command Control" and E4ME QuadraJet carburetor.  Carb has a
TPS and a mixture-control solenoid, that limits the opening of the
fuel rods in their jets.  The solenoid energizes to close the rods in
the jets.  The ECM tries to use this to keep the mixture as lean as
possible for economy and emissions.

Being one who always likes to tinker, I'd like to throw this out. <g>

I know that injection would make a very, very sweet 305, and after
reading up on the TBI pickups, I'd like to try it.  I would like to
transplant the TBI system from a wrecked '87-'91 pickup into the El
Camino.

1. I know the ECM will have to be swapped.  The two ECMs simply
are not the same.  For instance, the one the car has does not have
nearly enough connectors for a "747" ECM to work.
1.a. The ECM wiring harness will have to be swapped, but it's
accessible.
2. The car already has EGR solenoid, AIR solenoid, TCC hookup,
EST distributor, coolant temp sensor, BARO sensor, VSS, O2
sensor, and MAP sensor.  I checked, and the values my O2, MAP,
BARO and VSS give are what a "747" would seem to expect.

So most of the sensors would seem to be covered.  Of course the
throttle body will have a TPS, and will need wires for injectors and
IAC.

Electric fuel pump... got that covered, I think.  Plumbing a return
line into the tank will be a small challenge (OK, a big one - I have
no clue).

I suppose my questions are twofold: are there any "gotchas" I'm
about to walk into unknowingly?  I know I'll need an ECM and the
*complete* engine harness, including all connectors, to make it
work, but is there something obvious, besides the fuel pump, that
I'm missing?

Second, will the performance from the injected engine pay me back
for the time, money and effort?  Can I reasonably expect *any* gas
mileage increase?  Engine's dead stock, good compression,
cranks easy.  The car gets about 14 mpg with an easy foot in town
and 20 mpg on the open highway.  I know I should expect *instant*
throttle response compared to what I'm used to, but what about
gas mileage?

Thanks.

   - Jared Ryan [gerhardr@yahoo.com]
  ICQ #8547412 Yahoo! Pager gerhardr