RE: Changing 165 / Nother Q

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Zug [mailto:dzug@delanet.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2000 4:07 AM
To: gmecm@diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: Changing 165 / Nother Q

400000000000000000 / 256 = 156250000000000 (close)  G/S per single unit of
resolution on the sensor....

Your point is understood,  but I'd use MAP for the jet engine ;-)

converting to 16 bit would be useful only if the sensor range was also
raised.  If you turn an 8 bit value into a 16 bit, it just gives you the
ability to see the sensor value as more tiny-er steps... not higher values.
you would have to change the sensor range at the same time to be able to
read more air.  (9 bits will get you to 512 steps,  BTW).  sorry this may be
out-of-place rambling, I don't understand how this is done very easily. IN
the code, the A2D would see a maxxed input, translate to FFh, and that may
trigger some creative code to say "go to the high table" but the input still
will be pegged.  you'd almost have to electronically reduce (re-scale) the
voltage input from the MAF to the ECM, then allow the internal 9-bit (16
bit) value to read 255 when the voltage level was at 4v or something,  then
have the internal 9-bit read 320 at 5v... a second "high" table would have
entries that were up to (320 minus 255), and would be in use only when the
"high flow" bit (9th) was lit.

	yes this is why it is taking so long...
	ps the maf will read up past 255g/s  actualy if you apply 10v
(safely  it will go from 	20g/s 	to 620g/s @ 9.8v  tested on flow
bench... will post the excell graph...

	finer resolution is good,, could help eliminate some of the lag that
bruce is talking 	about.

oooh my brain, the POOR '165  ;-)  Please, as always... someone add /
correct me so I don't confuse others browsing the archives.

I have used the RPM based fuel tweak to compensate for what the MAF can't
see.  Its a trial and error method, but I got it to work out when I had the
Supercharger on.  I started reeeal rich, and used o2 to make sure I wasn't
lean, but I should have backed it up with an EGT.

Makes sense to me that if you can increase the size of the MAF (not saying
anything new here) that the readout for a given flow rate will decrease
exactly proportionally with the increase in orifice area.  the big job is to
go thru EVERY calculated value (on chip) and every comparison made to those
values, and adjust them accordingly.  i.e.  trip into PE mode at a MAF value
of 40(d) insted of 55(d) because now 40 represents 55 g/s and 255 represents
320 g/s (or whatever math...)

To MY Question:

Has anyone scientifically measured the effect on readings between an
unported, stock, screened MAF and a ported (no sink) and un-screened MAF? I
figgered roughly the percentage of area opened up, and a little tweak for
the reduction in air turbulance and went with that to re-calibrate the MAF
tables. I figgered a shop vac and a y-pipe and a volts meter would give a
ratio as well.  anyone done it?  share?  of coarse the voltage reading will
be lower for the gutted MAF,  but it would be cool to have a graph of each
at all flow levels ;-))

got one will post.. been nusy.. had wisdom teeth pulled.. ouch  look like
chipmunk...
but once this is done.... i will pass to everyone.. then it becomes easy esp
for guy who wants to "stick " a huffer on it.. :)