Re: Changing 165 / Nother Q

The porting shouldn't really effect much of anything having to do with the
O2, IMHO.  The flow at idle is like 10ish grms/sec., vs 255 at WOT.  I'd
guess that at less then 100 grms/ sec your at a high enough TPS to be in PE.
If a fuel pressure corrected anything it was the disturbed air flow and
inaccurate reading from the MAF.
Put another notch in the belt for modified engines and MAP.
Two wrongs don't make a right here either, with the info here, I just can't
see why not just do it right the first time.  For all the time dinkin with
the MAF you've wasted the only advantage it had.  As a tuning tool like
Scott S is using it great, but I still ain't sold on it being the ultra
setup, when you run out of resolution with it.
Grumpy

> If mine pegged I'd have a problem.. it does NOT peg (yet).
>
> If a gutted MAF was done at the same time as a FP increase, o2 and thus
> BLM's may stay in balance.  What you have then is an incorrect air reading
> as well as an incorrect fuel reading, both incorret by the same
proportion,
> in the same direction, the net result is "it runs pretty darn good". (did
> get that right?)
>
> The more retentive tuning guys go nutz over this. Yes I would go nutz over
> it if I thought I knew what I was doing more, then I could make it right,
> but good 'nuff seems to be the order of my ways. ;-)
>
> I was out to try some fancy stuff with a 'holy' MAF, but the supercharger
> crapped out and I never followed thru.  add it to the list of good
> intentions fallen flat.

IN
> > the code, the A2D would see a maxxed input, translate to FFh, and that
may
> > trigger some creative code to say "go to the high table" but the input
> still
> > will be pegged.  you'd almost have to electronically reduce (re-scale)
the
> > voltage input from the MAF to the ECM, then allow the internal 9-bit (16
> > bit) value to read 255 when the voltage level was at 4v or something,
> then
> > have the internal 9-bit read 320 at 5v... a second "high" table would
have
> > entries that were up to (320 minus 255), and would be in use only when
the
> > "high flow" bit (9th) was lit.
> >
> > oooh my brain, the POOR '165  ;-)  Please, as always... someone add /
> > correct me so I don't confuse others browsing the archives.
> >
> > I have used the RPM based fuel tweak to compensate for what the MAF
can't
> > see.  Its a trial and error method, but I got it to work out when I had
> the
> > Supercharger on.  I started reeeal rich, and used o2 to make sure I
wasn't
> > lean, but I should have backed it up with an EGT.
> >
> > Makes sense to me that if you can increase the size of the MAF (not
saying
> > anything new here) that the readout for a given flow rate will decrease
> > exactly proportionally with the increase in orifice area.  the big job
is
> > go thru EVERY calculated value (on chip) and every comparison made to
> those
> > values, and adjust them accordingly.  i.e.  trip into PE mode at a MAF
> value
> > of 40(d) insted of 55(d) because now 40 represents 55 g/s and 255
> represents
> > 320 g/s (or whatever math...)
> >
> > To MY Question:
> >
> > Has anyone scientifically measured the effect on readings between an
> > unported, stock, screened MAF and a ported (no sink) and un-screened
MAF?
> > figgered roughly the percentage of area opened up, and a little tweak
for
> > the reduction in air turbulance and went with that to re-calibrate the
MAF

majordomo@lists.diy-efi.org

majordomo@lists.diy-efi.org