Dead EPROM programmer

My EPROM programmer appears to have died.  :-(  Addresses which have a
high A10 aren't read correctly.  This started when I tried to program a
GM 2732.  It wouldn't program at 12.5 volts (2732B), it wouldn't program
at 21 volts (2732), and finally it still didn't program at 25 volts
(2732).  I now suspect that it was a 2732B with a different programming
algorithm.  The 25 volts blew up the EPROM, and then the blown EPROM
damaged the EPROM programmer.  (On the 2732, A10 is the next pin over
from VPP.)

The programmer has a neat minimal component design.  A single chip
microcontroller (68HC05) does everything - no big RAM banks, no fancy
I/O and so on.  Ever since I saw such unbuffered designs, I've been
concerned that a bad EPROM might damage the programmer.  It appears that
my concerns are valid.

Does anyone have recomendations for a serial port interfaced programmer?
 I suppose I could buy another of the same design, or actually it's
bigger brother.  I'll probably check the local electronics surplus
houses for an old bulletproof DataIO.  Another possibility is the
Dataman S4, which might have a serial port.