gm altenators...and efi

Well on my way home last night I notice my signl lights were slow to flash..
then glancing over at the factory volt gauge, it was at 8..
I used the original 3 wire 56amp alternator from the v6 in my s10..

They list 108 amp for the 87 camaro that the tpi was out of....
I thought since I did add a lot of extra load ie the 30amps the elec fand
draw, the efi (injectors, ecm, fuel pump) (truck was carbed before) I should
use the original altenator.. this way I could use the oem bracket and belts
instead of my jigger rig bracket..

Well, this altenator is half the weight  and size (newer style)  The darn
hayes manuals suck!  And the wires got me baffled.)

Now on my current harness, I have 12v all the time to the ist conn on the
plug looking from front.  The second terminal has nothing smaller gauge and
I don't know what it does...)

Now the new alt  has the bat term plus 2 xtra connections on it!!

______I------- |
| --  --  --   ---- |
|p__l__f___s_|

what needs to be hooked up to what  ie switched power... alt charges when f
is supplied to 12v (must be field)   what is the p and l for.. s for
sensing???)    also what is the 2nd terminal on my old one  for????)

now for the efi.... As the voltage got lower.. it started running fatter and
fatter, till it started missing ( have msd and good coil) I think this is
due to the bat voltage vs injector offset..... also idle whent up 300rpm....

Is there something in the code to kick idle up if voltage drops below a
value???....

Anywho...though it was cool..
Mike Rolica
Plant A,