Re: Dead EPROM programmer

Steven Ciciora wrote:

> I have an old Data I/O (model 29? I forget), 25 pin serial
> port, 2 x
> 16 LCD display, and hex keypad.  No software or documentation.

I used a Model 29 a long, long time ago.  I even used it to write and
edit programs (in hex).  If it really is a 29, then the display is
vacuum florescent or something like that.

> or figure out how to talk to it over the serial port

The Data IO stuff is generally easy to use via a serial port.  It is
geared for use with workstations, vaxen, and so on which usually only
have serial ports and terminal emulation software.

> you are welcome
> to it, in exchange for all of your contributions you have alreay made to
> the efi community.

No need - I found a "current model" Data IO at a surplus shop.

> I think it has an 8085 in it, and from memory, 32k of ram.

I seem to remember that the #29 was 6800 based.  The 32K of RAM will
limit it to 27256 EPROMs.  27512's won't work because the data won't all
fit in memory at once.

The programmer I got runs on a 68000, has 8 1/2 meg of RAM, floppy
drives, and will program just about anything with legs.

While scouting out the available surplus programmers, I also ran across
the following:  Two Data IO 288 gang programmers (32 pin).  One Data IO
280 gang programmer (28 pin).  A Data IO 60? (logic?) programmer missing
the socket module.  Data IO LogicPak and UniPak modules without the
matching "mainframe" units.  And two offbrand 32 pin standalone gang
programmers.  (This last duo only supports EPROMs with a 12.5 volt
(nominal) VPP, thus excluding the 2732 and 2732A.)

[All the spiders here abouts are hiding - they're afraid of getting
reprogrammed - 40 of them at one time.]