Re: Trials and tribulations

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 14:16:40 -0400, rr <RRauscher@nni.com> wrote:

>Actually, I think that it may be a teflon type of insulation, well aged
>of course. . . I found it's best to heat it with a lighter before stripping.
>This stuff is spliced onto the end of the normal pvc wire right before
>the tbi. It is exposed to a lot of fuel, sitting in the top of the tbi above
>the injectors.
>
>This is from the '88-90 full size Chebbie vans with the v8's. The v6
>Astro's use the same stuff. Come to think of it, I've seen the injector
>connectors burned (as: on fire once), but not the wire insulation.
>Maybe it is the teflon insulation.

OK, now that sounds like a very real possibility, or perhaps a silicone
wire formulation. Teflon and silicone are both used on O2 sensor wires.
Is the "finish" on the outside of the wire kinda slick? Anyway, from the
sound of you wanting to soften if with high heat to get it to cut/strip
more easily, that DOES sound alot like teflon. Silicone-based insulation
is usually still fairly flexy, where as teflon of course would explain
why it doesn't like to bend either.

Gar