CSH required - Re: Battery jumping

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> Was in the cab of a pickup when a group 24 disassembled itself thru a spark
> and H fumes, scared me, big time.  Happened during the twist of the key,
> starter never hit (or couldn't hear it over the explosion).   Acid
> everywhere, and plastic bits dented the hood.  Sooo, do be careful.

When I was a kid, I was "experimenting" with "making" Hydrogen & Oxygen with
a battery - I decided to see if a plastic motorcycle battery's vent had
any gas coming out of it - I thought a match would be a good test device.
Needless to say, the resulting explosion made a "bit of a mess" - my friend's
woolen jumper developed a few holes - he wore it whenever I turned up to see
him, just to remind me how dangerous our experiment really was.

More recently, I had cause to attack an old VW Golf with a metal bladed
circular 9" saw. That sort of tool really makes fast work of cutting up
a body, and makes a nice spectator display too (especially at night - sparks
everywhere) - Anyway, keen to finish the job, I happily cut through the fuel
lines (tank was removed, but there was still a lot of fuel that came out of
those lines) and was amazed that nothing exploded. Just lucky perhaps?

Peter.