Re: Technical Questions

"Andrew K. Mattei" wrote:

> ECM Info: Svc #1227730 AAWU 865261 M612491005 (From wrecked 87 Cimarron)
> Cal-Pack: 1A7307  ADRY 2642
>   Bar Code inside ECM: 142089108276245 (NOT speed density)
>
> The dealer's listing is confusing; he says he shows the same numbers for a
> Cal-pack, with a note saying "use with speed density kit," The problem, is
> that this Cal-pack is clearly NOT a speed density type.

The progression of replacement MEMCALs is this:

  AAWU5296 -> ADRY3193 -> ADRY3192 -> ASMN0705

If you wish to order the ASMN, the likely part number is 16140342,
though it might be 16140381 or 16140705.  The AAWU and ADRY codes are
too old to be the SD upgrade.  ASMN is just right.

You might also try getting ARDC4854.  Likely 16134468, but could be
16134761 or 16134854.  This is the terminus of another MEMCAL chain.
This one is for 1988 2.8's w/ MD9 automatic, possibly including the
Cimmarron.  (ASMN is for 87's.  You say you have an '88 transaxle -
there might be a difference.)

There is another pair of chains for California models.  Since AAWU and
ADRY are federal, I assume you don't need a California chip.

> 1. Is it possible to replace just the eprom on the cal-pack, and if so,
> how? (I didn't want to ruin a good one experimenting)
> 2. I understand the 1227730 ECM uses a 27C256 EPROM. I have EPROM
> programming capability, do you know where/how I could download the data for
> the correct EPROM for an 87/88 Cad Cimarron, 2.8L, digital dash, speed
> density modified?

No need to replace the EPROM.  You can reprogram it in place.  You'll
have to build a simple adapter to connect the MEMCAL to your burner.

> 3. What functions are performed by the resistor pack on the Cal-Pack, and
> are they all as different as the variations in numbers would seem to
> indicate?
> 4. What are the 14 and 16 pin DIP ICs mounted under the resistor pack, what
> are their function(s), and do these two parts differ between Cal-Packs?

The 14 & 16 pin DIPs _are_ the resistor packs.  These should be the same
for any 2.8 MEMCAL.  The thick film thing above the DIPs is for your
knock sensor.  There seem to be two versions of this for the 2.8 -
probably interchangeable.  This means that if you get the correct EPROM
content for you appication, you can program it into any 2.8 MEMCAL.

I don't have any of the EPROM contents for the four MEMCALs listed in
the progression above.  There are as many as 44 different MEMCALS for
the 2.8 in a Cimarron.  (88 for a 2.8 in any J-body.)  Nine of them
might be Cimarron 2.8 SD MEMCALs.  I have a good collection of 2.8
MEMCALs - and a good portion of those are the SD upgrade.  However, I
have none of the nine that you might be able to use.  (I don't know if
I've even seen a Gen II 2.8 Cimarron in the wrecking yards...)