Anyone know anything about negotiating severance packages?

I know this has nothing to do with GMECM's, but there are a lot of
intelligent
 people from all walks of life here and I respect you opinions.
Please reply off list, so this won't be more of an intrusion.

My SO is in a situation where after 9 Years with a company they are selling
off some local locations which would mean she will no longer be working for
"them" even if the new owners keep the current staffing. We know they will
be offering some sort of "Payoff", but since neither of us have been thru
something like this I'm would like to get some insight as to what to expect
and do we have to take it or can it be negotiated. She is currently manager
of a location and has a retirement plan that includes matching of funds she
puts in along with bonus stock and basic retirement plan the company has
requardless of if she chooses to participate in the 401 or stock programs. I
would at least expect them to make her completely vested in all the programs
she's in, but should we expect them to contribute additional funds into
these or just full vestiture and what she has to date? Also, any ideas about
severance pay, both if the new people do or don't keep them? 2 weeks? 6
months???
Any help or suggestions would be great, I feel like the 1st time I purchased
a car(20 years ago now) and know how under prepared I was.

Thanks,

Kevin R