Re: OFF-LIST: Non-efi question

Steve,
    Before I installed my 383/T56 I was running a 305/T5.  The first T-5 I
bought off of eBay and the owner tod me he used it behind a 350.  It lasted
about two weeks behindmy 305 before it broke a few teeth off of 4th gear.  I
then bought a remanufactured T5 for $700 and after about 7 months the 4th
gear synchro went up.  I couldn't make the T-5 last behind my 305 so I
wouldn't expect it to fair much better behind a 350.  I was going to buy a
Tremec 5 speed for about $1800 but found my tranny brand new for $1500 with
conversion plate and shifter.  I don't want to rain on your parade but you
want a strong tranny that can handle the power you put to it.  My 6 speed is
tough and shifts smoother than the T5 ever did.  I truly believe the factory
didn't put the T5 behind the 350 because it couldn't handle the power.  If
you keep your eyes peeled you can find a deal on a T56.  I have seen them
for as low as $1200.  If you want me to keep my eyes open for you I will.  I
got mine at:  http://www.fbody.com/classifs.shtml   All kinds of interesting
stuff there.  It is ashame the T5 isn't strong enough for the 350 because
the gear choice is pretty good.  Good luck.

Jim Brady
'87 Monte SS 383 TPI 6 speed