Re: Vortec 8 bolt to 12 bolt conversion

Brent Obermiller wrote:

> Anyone using Vortec heads w/ an old style intake manifold?
>
> 1.)first and most important can you recommend an intake
> gasket? (the Vortec ports seem to be taller)
>
> 2.)Any tips/comments on drilling and tapping the holes?
>
> -Brent
I spent a bunch of time marking a set of these heads for drilling and
tapping.  The prick marks are still in the heads, which came back from
the machine shop undrilled.  I recieved the new Nascar style intake w/
8 bolt pattern yesterday.

All said and done, the intake manifold is not wide enough to fit
properly between the heads.  When trying to use it with gaskes alone,
the top of the port in the head is high enough so I had only 1/16"
clamping surface for the gaskets.  There was a thread a few weeks ago
with some links and info about making spacers to use with a 6 cyl
Vortec conversion.  Honestly, the intakes aren't too many dollah.  I'm
using the Edelbrock dual plane on my Chevelle, and the Nascar style
unit will go on a circle track car.  There's also some intakes
available in the marine market, if you're willing to do some
searching.

Shannen