Wierd TCC lockup ... can u explain it?

Yet another wierd TCC lockup issue from yours truly.
Car = 1991 F-Body 350, 700R4 w/ 2400 stall, 3.42s, 730 ECM

I set the TCC lockup for 40mph.  ALL TC tables were stock (350 bin - AUJP).

Moderate throttle:  The TC would lockup at 40mph.  The TC would then unlock
and the car would shift into 4th gear.  Then the TC would lockup again.
This all happened from 40-44mph and provided for a very wierd shift pattern.
I switched all the TC tables to the 305 TC tables and the same thing
happened.  Then I switched the base image entirely to the 305 base image.
No problem.  The TC did not unlock before shifting into 4th gear.  Can you
explain it?

Tim