Archive utility (was Re: ECM interchangability?)

Bruce Plecan wrote:

>> Any info would be appreciated as well as links to other info
>> or FAQ's on the GM ECM's.  Also, I seem to recall a note on
>> the DIY_EFI list a couple weeks ago that the archives are up
>> somewhere.  Any chance the GMECM archives are up and the web
>> page just hasn't been updated yet?
>
>Be welll advised to down load the whole Zip and read thru it
>Lots of excellent info
>Grumpy

OK, I did find the zip file finally on the ftp site.  There's
two actually, right?  The '99 archive and what appears to be
one through mid June '00.

I found the archive somewhat useless however because it's not in
any mail format that I can figure out and it's a royal pain to
try and make sense of it as a single 8 M file.

It is, however, well delimited between messages, soooo, I wrote
a small Perl script that goes through and parses out the
individual messages and writes out a new Unix mail file.  This
is the standard format for Unix mail, Elm (what I use), etc.

The emails have the From:, Date: and Subject fields since these
are in the archive.  You have to specify a list and that's used
to fill out the To: and Reply-To: fields accordingly.

I made it through about the 1st 1000 messages (of ~8200) today
of the '99 archive  :)  (saved about 100 of them)  gonna take a
while I guess.  I agree, good stuff though.  Already learning a
lot of the different ECM's and which one's will be good
candidates for my project.

I don't know if there is some kind of parser for this particular
archive format or not.  I sent a note off to Orin a few days ago,
but haven't yet heard back, hence the reason for writing my
filter.

Other's may find it useful too?  It sure makes it a lot easier
to read through all the archives.  I tested it on the DIY and 332
archives too and it seems to work fine.

I have noticed a lot of the messages seem to be munged though.  Seems
to be mostly the included message portion in reply's.  Every now
and then there's a message with several lines with just one word on
it, and they don't go together.

I have verified it's not my filter though, it's in the archive that
way.

I took the liberty of uploading it to the incoming directory on the
ftp site (ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming).  It should work with just about
any version of Perl.  It does use the Getopt::Long module which I
think is pretty standard.

For any Win users, I also created a stand-alone .exe version.  This
one should work by itself without you needing to download and install
Perl.

The files are EFIArcParse.pl (perl script) and EFIArcParse.exe (Win
executable).  If you find any errors or make changes, let me know
and I'll keep the ftp site updated.  Also, it'd be pretty easy to
dump out into another (non-binary) mail format if you can give me
the specs on it.

--Dan
houlster@inficad.com