RE: Archive utility

Last time I had a fiddle with the mail archives, I was able
to get them into Netscape messenger.

Basically all you need is to join all the files together into one
big text file. Maybe this is already done in the current archives.
I don't know because I haven't downloaded them yet.

In Netscape messenger create a new folder (like
EFI332). Quit Netscape and in the profiles directory you should
find two files. In this case they would be EFI332 and EFI332.snm
NB: the first has no extension. Replace the EFI332 file
with the one big text file and Restart Netscape.

In the EFI332 folder you should now have all the msgs, which can
be sorted by thread, date, sender etc.

I don't see why it wouldn't work any more. I'm sure the format won't
have changed.

>From memory, you can also get winzip to understand the files too.
It will even strip out the attachments.

Christian

On Saturday, July 08, 2000 6:17 PM, Daniel Houlton [SMTP:houlster@inficad.com] wrote:
> This is a note I sent to the GMECM list.  Thought someone here
> might find it useful too.
>
> --Dan
>
> OK, I did find the zip file finally on the ftp site.  There's
> two actually, right?  The '99 archive and what appears to be
> one through mid June '00.
>
> archive format or not.  I sent a note off to Orin a few days ago,
> but haven't yet heard back, hence the reason for writing my
> filter.
>
> Other's may find it useful too?  It sure makes it a lot easier
> to read through all the archives.  I tested it on the DIY and 332
> archives too and it seems to work fine.
>
> I have noticed a lot of the messages seem to be munged though.  Seems
> to be mostly the included message portion in reply's.  Every now
> and then there's a message with several lines with just one word on
> it, and they don't go together.

Christian Hack
DESIGN ENGINEER
christianh@pdd.edmi.com.au