From: owner-gmecm@diy-efi.org [mailto:owner-gmecm@diy-efi.org]On Behalf
Of Len Sabatine
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 8:45 PM
To: gmecm@diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: True definition of Knock

  Carl,
Amen to the chamber/dome/dish shapes . Low / mid lift port flow vs cam C/L
displacement
Rod ratio and  to infinity vs the  Powertrain / Vehicle package and Vehicle
CD.
A Dyno is a USEFUL TOOL, however many folks put all the eggs in that basket
, without on the
RUN Backup Data. Dynos don't have slicks and steering wheel and aren't
accelerating the ACTUAL
Vehicle MASS , trying to punch a hole thru the atmosphere to get to the
other end. Or if you prefer
"Not up on Plane " as with a hull displacing water. We know how detonation
on BB / SC marine
application can literally UBBRELLA Inconel exhaust valves, even at low
thresholds/ intensities.
  We can simulate and postulate, nothing beats the real  world running.
With reference to KS,
Auto Manufacturers are focused on Lowering NOX levels, saving Engine
Components and trying
to "GO THE DISTANCE". No joke, Detonation is  VERY Complex and mostly in a
state of FLUX.
They overshoot the spark to keep the engine off the belly pan.
Finally , I'd like to comment that we've seen differences between  Dyno
pulls vs Track with respect
to a specific engine's detonation sensitivity. Both environments and
acquired data are of great value
as detonation appears to be the quickest way to trim about 15% power output
off the top , wack the
ring seal and knock the rod  B.E. out of round on a diagonal + More.
[ Good numbers on that SC ENGINE ], and no hype, Cool.
Len