Re: Engine swap computer & wiring question

Well... I thought about it, but figured the tranny I have now would be
easier to work with.  I don't mind the automatic transmission.  I have had
no real problems with the 125C.  I have one in my Z24 with 185,000 miles on
it, and it still has no problems.  The one in question is in my Sunbird, and
has 102,000 on it, and with a rebuild it'll be good as new.  This is the
same engine that was used with the Sunbirds that had the turbo and that put
out 165 HP from the factory, so a few extra HP shouldn't hurt it.  The guys
on my v6jbody list kind of persuaded me to shy away from the electronically
controlled transmissions, because there is question as to whether or not it
will physically bolt in, and nobody has had any serious trouble with an auto
tranny - they will stand up to a quite abit of punishment.  There is a guy
with the manual transmission on the v6jbody list who has a modified turbo
3.1 and the stock manual transmission is holding up fine, the same is true
with another guy with a supercharged 3800 in a z24.

My question is more with the computer programming end of things... I think
with enough time and right manuals I'll figure all the connections out.  My
biggest concern is will the 3.1 computer control a 3.4 engine.  There can't
be TOO many differences, and if they are, can the EPROM be re-flashed.
Also, in what ways might the programming be different?  I know of the
obvious difference with the fuel injection.  the 2.8 is MPFI and the 3.4 is
SFI.  I'm told that the OBDI computer isn't advanced enough to handle the
batch program to run in SFI.  Can the injection timing, spark advance, etc
be changed?

Thanks again,
Tim De Coster
'89 Z24 Conv.