Re: Engine swap computer & wiring question

Hi Tim,

I read what everbody else has to say about this - and since I have a soft spot for the GTs - I'm gonna throw in my two cents.

First of all, you made an statement about the similarities of the engines, which Bruce called you on. I think you're right, it *must* be possible, but the little things that you don't see coming *will* screw you up. For instance, if going to 5-spd, you'll need to get new motor mounts or your drivetrain will be crooked!

As for your actual question, I think the general concensus around here is to stay as far away from OBD as possible. It'll cause you a boatload of problems and the seqential fire really won't buy you a whole lot. So...

Having considered this swap myself, I decided that the best thing to do would be to use the wiring and ECM for a 3.1 (7730). Because the 3.4 is basicaly a bored 3.1 you should be able to keep the wiring close to stock. The cal will be close (closer than 2.8 anyway). The 7730 is pretty well known around here and you should be able to get help with the software. I have done some work on the V6 code and know that a few others have too. So with a little diligence, accomodating .3 liters and better head flow shouldn't be a problem. Running a Getrag 5-spd with OBD II, however, sounds pretty scary. Uh, you are doing 5-spd right? 'Cause I hate to see you do all this work for nothing ;)

Oh, one more thing. The 7730 is good, also, for when you turbocharge that guy!

Jeremy