Re: Huntington to Catalina

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:15:30 -0700, Carl Summers <InTech@writeme.com>
wrote:

>--------All of the marine manifolds I have dealt with have the water jackets
>start about an inch from the head mounting flange so plenty of room for
>EGT's

PLENTY of room?? Phew, that dudn't sound like alot to me. Argh. I ask
cuz back when meNme Dad were building boats (I was a lad, so I
unfortunately lost some of the details), there t'weren't no O2 sensors
of any sort, and he wasn't racing them per se so EGT wouldn't have been
in the picture either, so I've only indirectly gotten wind of this
"issue". :)

>....now the uego is another story....gotta be quite inventful to keep
>the water away...sometimes on the high overlap stuff you gotta get the idle
>as perfect as you can on the dyno as even with wet manifolds we use dry
>exhaust on the dyno so not to worry about killing the sensor...I have never
>checked the backpressure, I will do that on the next project...it has to be
>pretty steep as once it is in the boat it is ussually 1 to 1 1/2 AFR richer
>than on the dyno at WOT.

Yow, that's what I was worried about.

>.....In the
>boats I datalog EGT's, Intake air temp, fuel pressure, water temp and
>pressure, AFR, oil pressure and temp, knock, rpm, tps, boost,etc.

Is "IGN advance" in the "etc"? I wonder why more guys don't log IGN
timing; is that because it may take extra electrics OR am I missing
sumpin here?

Thanks for the narrative; sure one hell of a venue: Huntington Beach to
Catalina Island; I'm jealous, but I'm Californi bound at the end of the
month meself. It'll be good to get back to the Bay.

Just curious, were you using GPS to track your speed, and if so, what
was peak?

Gar