Re: reading flash chips... was: Re: Looking for a 16149396 ECM

Scot Sealander wrote:

> ECMnut@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I really want to play with flash stuff too..
> > Assuming you could read that in the same manner
> > as a regular prom (is that a big assumption?)   What sort of
> > voltages do you use?
>
> Mike, the flash could be read in a regular PROM reader.
> One challenge is that the flash chip is a PLCC, soldered
> on the board.  I suppose one could remove the chip, get or
> make an adapter to fit the PROM reader and read it.

That's what I do. See http://www.mindspring.com/~amattei/flashfix.htm -
it's not overly difficult if you have decent soldering skills. A fine
tipped iron helps too. ;)

> that you never lose power after the flash is erased.  There
> is no easy way to put the load code back into RAM!

That's for dang sure. Should programming on the PCM get interrupted,
that's when people call me. ;)

-Andrew