Mode $0a on 7730

STILL trying to figure out this *&^$ 7730 and wondering if my interface
isn't at fault.

Here's the Q:  Sending $F4 $57 $0A should put the ECM into Mode $0A (aka
Mode 10), which erases any malfunction codes, right?

Here's the background:  It looks like I can watch serial data, but I
can't transmit to the bus.  I intentionally disconnected the MAP sensor
to generated a code 34.  I ran across the Mode 10 stuff on ECMGUY's page
beforehand, and tried it using PROBE with a modified request.  I also
loaded ALDLMON, and while it wouldn't do anything much, I did ask it to
<E>rase Malfunction codes.  It SAID it did, but I confirmed that both
PROBE and ALDLMON did not erase the codes.  I did so by jumpering A & B
and watching the blinks.

Ideas?  Comments?  Other?

Thanks as always!